Boostrapping : EDU.01 - RLPP/Jury over Teaching Staff
Proposed administrative procedure - EDU.01
RLPP/Jury   over   Teaching   Staff
Purpose : To improve citizens' control over District level staff in Education, and reduce nexuses amongst staff
Pre-requiste readings :
Expulsion by Jury
- Details of EDU.01
- Advantages of EDU.01
- Draft of the act to create procedure EDU.01
Details of EDU.01
Following are the procedures I am proposing to improve efficiency of the staff involved in classI-XII educations in schools run by the City/District Government :
- DEO (District Education Officer) : The CM or Chairman of District Panchayat would appoint a DEO. The DEO will be in-charge of district owned schools, conducting exams, appointment of teachers/principals and other staff members.
- Citizens' control over DEO : The citizens may replace him using RLPP.
- District Education Budge : For funding of schools, DEO will prepare property tax property and submit it to District Panchayat. The citizens and Panchayat Members may accept/reject it using LM.01.
- Hiring Maths etc teachers :
- The DEO will hire new teachers of Maths, Law, Sciences, Geography, Historical Information and Grammar/Vocabulary of Languages based ONLY on the scores in the competitive exams in their area of teaching.
- The exams will be conducted three times a year. The highest score of the exams taken in past 1 year will be taken as the score.
- A teachers term will be for 3 years, after which he will need to re-appear in the competitive exam.
- A teacher can give test ONLY 6 months after his term expires. Essentially, a teacher MUST take six months unpaid leave of 6 months after 3 years of his service.
- Hiring teachers of other subjects : The DEO will leave the matter to the committee appointed by education experts selected by the Mayor.
- Hiring principals :
- Only a person who has served as teacher for at least 6 years can become a principal.
- The DEO will select on average score in written exams in 4 subjects --- Maths, Law, Science and Geography.
- The term will be for 3 years, after which he will need to take the tests again.
- Jury to expel staff member :
- (Grand Jury) The DEO will select 30 parents at random for a term of 3 months, who will meet once a week and review the complaints against the teachers.
- If a principal/teacher/staff/parent/student has a complaint against principal/teacher/staff/student, DEO will place the complaints before these 30 parents.
- If over 50% parents find the complaint legitimate, they will DEO.
- Upon receiving the complaint from the Grand Jury, the DEO will select 12 parents at random. If over 8 out of 12 parents declare the accused as misfit, the DEO will transfer him to another school.
- If the person gets transferred twice, DEO will expel him for six years.
- If the teacher or the staff member gets a stay/reversal order from a judge, then the DEO will summon 12 parents from the districts at random and ask them to review the judge’s opinion. If over 8 out 12 parents declare that judge’s opinion is unconstitutional, illegal, unethical, against the interest of the Nation and against the interest of the students, the DEO will eighter resign or disobey the judge, but will NOT restore the teacher/staff, even if he has to face the "contempt of the judge" charges.
- If the DEO believes that opinion of judge should have greater force than opinions of parents or if he is afraid of the judge, he may resign.
- Procedures to prepare syllabus : The DEO, using a committee of experts, or by himself, will prepare syllabus for each subject's each year. DEO may also accept syllabus prepared by a National level Government or private agency.
- choosing teachers/subjects for a specific students
- The parents/student will pick which subjects he wants to take. The State Government or School would not make any subject compulsory except Mathematics, Sciences, Law and Weapon-use.
- The parents/student will pick the Maths, Science etc. teacher that the student wants to learn from. The student can change the teacher any month.
- If student is above 14 years, he should decide on his own. If the student is below 14, parents should decide. In case parents disagree, the Principal should take mother’s decision as final.
- The teacher can expel the student from his section if the student misbehaves. The teacher would not need anyone’s permission to do so.
- Likewise, the parents may expel a teacher using Jury Trial as explained above. The Jurors would not need anyone’s permission.
Advantages of EDU.01
- EDU.01 provides fast nexusless procedures to appoint/expel teachers etc. This will improve efficiency of teaching.
- EDU.01's subject selection sub-procedure ensures that the parents/students will be able to learn the subjects which are most beneficial to them. And they can avoid the subjects which serve no purpose to them.
- EDU.01's teacher selection sub-procedure ensures that the parents/students will be able to avoid the teachers who are NOT efficient in teaching.
Draft of the act to create procedure EDU.01
One law needs to be passed in City Council (or District Panchayat) to enact EDU.01. To see the draft, please click here.
Now citizens can ask City Councilor to pass these Acts. But IMO, it will be wiser for citizens to first enact procedure LM.01 then use LM.01 to pass this EDU.01 draft WITHOUT any help from Councilors. To know about procedure LM.01, please click here.
If you have any other question, please mail it to MehtaRahulC@yahoo.com. Thousand thanks in advance.
Next - EDU.02 : Saatya system to improve Maths education