Boostrapping : EDU.08 - Administering Subsidy for College Education
Proposed administrative procedure - EDU.08
Administering   Subsidy   for   College   Education
Purpose : To improve class-XII+ education in sciences and engineering
Pre-requiste readings : EDU.02
- Soltion? EDU.08
- Advantages of EDU.08
- Draft of the act to create procedure EDU.08
Currently GoI/GoStates give lands/funds to UGC (University Grant Commssion) or University or the college, NOT the student. And its their discretionary powers how they want to use those funds. This results in a highly wasteful and inefficient use of lands/funds.
EDU.08 : Administering Subsidies for College Education
Four types of colleges need GoI subsidies
The colleges which teach subjects related to arts, commerce, humanities, fine arts etc can go on (or shut down) without GoI subsidies.
ALL the colleges, except defense/medicine etc should be FULLY privatized and de-subsidized --- no cash subsidy and NO land subsidy either. The subsidy money should be DIRECTLY given to the students using following scheme
- related to defence
- The Prime Minister will appoint Education Minister (as today).
- The Education Minister will appoint University Grants Commossioner (as today). The citizens may replace the Commissioner using RLPP.
- The commissioner will decide a income/property tax to create a fund for college education, and will propose the tax proposal to the Parliament. The Parliament, or citizens using LM.03 can finalize the proposal.
- The commissioner will hold written 2-3 tiered written exams in subjects such as Maths, Physics, Chemistry, Basic English, Geography etc for students between age 17-21 and those who have cleared 12th class exams in respective subjects.
- Each student will be eligible for one free test in his life. After that, he would need pay a fee to appear in the exam.
- The Commissioner will decide the reward stucture, and give the rewards to the students based on their ranks in the exams. One reward stucture can be as follows :
- For Maths : Rs 100,000 - Rank#
- For Physics : Rs 75,000 - Rank#
- For Chemistry : Rs 75,000 - Rank#
- For Biology : Rs 100,000 - Rank#
- For Geography : Rs 25000 - Rank#
and so forth
- The rewards will be given to students in 16 quarterly installments.
- There will be NO strings attached i.e. no requirement that the student MUST go to such and such college, or he MUST go to any college at all. The rewards are unconditional.
- For students between age 22-24, the Commissioner will hold similar such exams in various specialized subjects. The rewards will be based on the ranks.
Advantages of EDU.08
EDU.08 ensures that students get paid ONLY if student studies well. This ensure minimal waste and maximal efficiency. And the student decides the college he picks. Thus colleges will become least wasteful and most efficient in serving and educating the students.
Draft of the act to create procedure EDU.08
One law needs to be passed in Assembly and Parliament each to enact EDU.08. To see the drafts, please click here.
Now citizens can ask MLAs and MPs to pass these Acts. But IMO, it will be wiser for citizens to first enact procedure LM.02 and LM.03 then use LM.02-03 to pass this EDU.08 draft WITHOUT any help from MLAs and MPs. To know about procedure LM.02, please click here and to know about procedure LM.03, please click here.
If you have any other question, please mail it to MehtaRahulC@yahoo.com. Thousand thanks in advance.
Next - EDU.09 : Reducing burden of higher education